These are some common questions from student, but please contact us at any time to discuss your application to an American university:

1. Why should I study in America?

An American education is known throughout the world for excellence, flexibility and for the range of opportunities it affords. A degree from one of the carefully selected universities or colleges we work with will give you the qualification you need to be internationally successful.

2. Colleges and universities: what's the difference?

In many countries, a college is of lower ranking than a university, and offers only vocational courses. This is not the case in America. In fact, many of the finest private universities in the country are called colleges. We work with both two-year associate colleges, from which you can progress to top tier institutions to complete your studies, and four-year colleges, offering full bachelor's degree programs. Traditionally, only universities offered graduate studies, but today this is no longer the case, and many of the colleges we work with also offer graduate programs.

3. How long does it take to earn a degree from a US university?

Undergraduate degrees: In general, it takes 2 years to earn an Associate degree and 4 years to earn a Bachelor's degree.
Graduate degrees: A graduate (or Master's) degree is usually studied for 1-2 years, but the length of time varies depending on the number of credits required.

4. What is GPA?

GPA means Grade Point Average and it is used in the American education system to indicate the level of a students' academic success. An average score is calculated for each student on a scale of 0-4, with O being a fail and 4 being the maximum academic achievement. World Education Services (WES) offers a free grade conversion guide for more than 120 countries, so you can compare your grades to an American university's GPA requirements.

5. Do I need to take GMAT or GRE graduate admissions tests?

Some of the universities we work with require graduate applicants to take the GMAT (Graduate Management Admissions Test) for business Master's programs, or the GRE (Graduate Record Examination) for other Master's programs.

6. Can I take the ACT instead of the SAT?

Most colleges and universities now accept either the ACT or the SAT and do not given one test a preference over the other. Many universities will accept the ACT with optional writing instead of the SAT Reasoning Test and the SAT subject tests.

7. How do I get an evaluation or translation of my academic records?

You will need to provide an official copy of your academic transcripts, translated into English, with your application. Additionally, some universities will require that you provide a professional evaluation of your academic credentials. World Education Service will review your transcripts and prepare a transcript evaluation report for a fee (starting from $100).

8. Will I be getting the best value for my money?

All of the universities that we have selected to work with were chosen, in part, because they offer excellent value for money. We also offer special international student discounts which can save you significant amounts compared to applying directly to the university or college. Find out what the all-inclusive fee covers.

9. Are there payment options or financial help available?

We extend our special reduced fees to all applicants automatically. You can spread the cost of sending your child to university across the year, by taking advantage of our two-part payment option. Scholarships for international students are extremely limited, but there may be scholarship opportunities available from your own country. Once at university in the USA, international students may be permitted to undertake paid work on campus for up to 20 hours per week (conditions may apply).

10. What is an ESL (English as a Second Language) transition program?

ESL transition programs are a pathway to some of our partner universities for international students who don't have the required TOEFL or IELTS score for direct entry to a degree program. You must meet all the university's other requirements for degree admission. ESL transition programs are taught on campus and will improve your language proficiency to the level necessary for admission to that university.

11. What kind of visa do I need?

You will need an F1 Visa, which is for full-time students enrolled in an academic or language program.

12. What is the I-20 form?

The I-20 form allows you to apply for a student visa at the American consulate or embassy in your country. Following university acceptance, a deposit will be required to release the I-20 immigration document. This deposit is refundable in the event of a visa denial.

13. How long will my visa be valid?

When you enter the United States on a student visa, you will usually be admitted for the duration of your student status. That means you may stay as long as you maintain full-time student status, even if the F-1 visa in your passport expires while you are in America. However, if you depart the USA with an expired visa, you will need to obtain a new one, applying at an Embassy abroad, before being able to return to America and resume your studies.

When you complete the course of studies shown on your I-20, and any authorized practical training, you are allowed an additional 60 days in the USA, to prepare for departure from the country, or to transfer to another university.

14. When will I receive the documentation required for my visa application?

If your application is successful, we will offer you a place at the University. To accept your place, you must send us a deposit (usually $500). Once we have received your deposit payment we will send you by mail (usually through Fedex) the official I-20 document along with the acceptance letter from the university, and other pre-arrival documentations. You will need to submit this with your visa application.

To qualify for an undergraduate degree program, you must be aged 17 or older, and have a Diploma or acceptable certification of graduation from a High School or Secondary School in your home country. To qualify for (post) graduate study you must have successfully completed the international equivalent of a US secondary education, and the international equivalent of a US bachelor's degree.

All students must prove that they have spoken and written English sufficient for university study, by submitting a TOEFL or IELTS score, or successfully completing a university-based ESL program if available. See below for more details of English language requirements.

15. When should I arrive at university?

You should aim to arrive at the university in time to be ready to start the international orientation program at your selected institution. The orientation program will usually take place a few days before classes start.

16. What documents should I bring to the airport when traveling to America?

Remember to bring your University acceptance letter, I-20 and F-1 visa along with you on the plane. You may be asked by an immigration officer why you are in the US, please be clear that you understand where you are going and what you intend to study. Find out more about arriving in the United States.

17. Can I work while I am a student in the US?

Yes. The US government allows students on an F-1 visa to work on-campus up to 20 hours a week during the university semester. You can work on-campus 40 hours a week during breaks and the summer vacation. You must apply for US Immigration Department permission before you can work off campus, and again only up to 20 hours per week. There are three types of off-campus work authorizations for full-time students:

  • Unexpected, extreme financial hardship
    You must have been studying on an F-1 visa for at least one year to be eligible. You must prove you have less money than expected (e.g because of large currency devaluations or loss of your parent's job).
  • Curricular practical training
    If your academic department grants credit for internships, you may be allowed to complete an off-campus internship. Contact your academic advisor for help applying.
  • Internship with an international organization
    You must be a full-time student while you do your internship. You may work full-time or part-time for one year. You will need a written offer from an international organization.
    Working without following the regulatory guidelines is a serious status violation. Students terminated for unauthorized employment are not eligible for reinstatement and must leave the United States immediately.
18. What type of degree should I have for Optional Practical Training?

OPT is available to students with both Bachelor's and Master's level degrees.

19. How long can I work on an OPT placement?

The standard period allowed is 12 months. However, students studying science, technology, engineering or mathematics can extend their program for an additional 17 months making a total of 29 months.