1. What is SPP or Student Partner Program for Canada?

The government of Canada has a very special program for Indian students, and this is called the Student Partner program (SPP Canada). This program allows Indian student to get visa very quickly and with minimal documentation. In addition to this Indian student will also get work permit after doing their studies. Canadian government has appointed few selected colleges to get admission under SPP Program. Most of the colleges listed under the SPP program are Canadian government funded and offer very high level of education.

2. What are the advantages of applying under SPP?

Fast Visa processing
Advance medicals reports
Quality of the institutions is assured
Less documents required for Visa
Income Tax Proof not required

3. What is the processing time of SPP student visa application?

An SPP student visa application takes around 5 to 10 working days.

4. Do I need Health Insurance?

Yes. Health Insurance is mandatory. You will have to arrange for medical coverage before you arrive in Canada. Medical coverage varies from province to province, and sometimes from university to university within each province. Most of the Institutes have health insurance included in their tuition fees. You may also take health insurance from India.

5. Can a visa once refused be granted if apply under SPP?

No. To apply under SPP the student should have never been refused a study permit to Canada. If a visa is once refused then the student has to apply under Non- SPP category.

6. Can I apply without IELTS?

No, Minimum score of IELTS 6.0 bands and no less than 5.5 bands is compulsory to apply under SPP.

7. Can I apply without education loan?

No, Education loan for 80% of the first year of expenses is compulsory to consider an application under SPP. If you have funds and do not wish to take up the education loan, you can apply for visa under general category but not under SPP.

8. Can I get work permit in Canada if I do not study under SPP?

Work permit scheme is open to all the international students who have graduated with a recognized qualification from any of the accredited institutions in Canada. The Work permit policy has its own requirement and each student should qualify / satisfy those requirements.

9. Can I settle in Canada after completion of my studies?

Yes, Canada has built its population from migrants from different parts of the world. Students have options to apply for Permanent Residency in Canada and the application will need to score at least 60 points plus satisfy the health and character requirements.

10. Is there any difference in the process if I want to study in Quebec?

If you apply to study in Quebec, you need a certificate of acceptance or CAQ.

11. How do I find out if I can work while studying in Canada?

Foreign students can work in Canada during their studies, and after they graduate. In most cases, you will need to apply for one of the student-related work permits, which are required if you want to work in a co-op/internship placement, off campus, or after graduating from your studies (Post-Graduation Work Permit Program).

12. What are the chances of getting visa in a non-SPP college?

Though, applying under SPP the file gets priority assessment in terms of processing time and less documentation. Under General Category the student is required to provide more documentation in terms of financial capabilities and it does not affect on chances of visa approval.

13. What are the requirements for admission into Canadian universities?

Each university in Canada has its own policy regarding admission requirements. Contact each university directly for the admission requirements of the program you’re interested in.

14. What type of fees do I pay - domestic or international?

You will pay international tuition fees if:

  • You are a student in Canada studying on a study permit
  • You are an international student studying on a study permit There are a few categories in which international students on study permits are eligible to pay domestic fees.

All students pay the same fees for all other university expenses – living expenses, books, and supplies. Depending on the program and residence options that you choose, the costs will vary.
Be sure to keep in mind additional costs such as applying for your study permit, cost of flights, and updating your passport.

15. What else can I do to help pay for my education?
  • Enrol in a co-op program and gain paid work experience. You can earn between $37,000- $77,000 CAD by the time you graduate.